Here are some ideas for shorter writing assignments designed to foster critical thinking skills.
Overall: have students create their own memes either using existing memes and editing the text, or creating memes from public domain paintings and open images.
- Unit 1
- Additional essay topic: compare the Titan War to a modern event.
- This could also be a good discussion board assignment so that classmates can see and assess others’ work. Assign each student a god or goddess. Have them do a “safe-search” image search and have the student choose an image of that god or goddess they like best and describe how it depicts that god or goddess and why they chose the image. You might want to assign female students goddess and male students gods.
- Unit 2
- Have students watch this video about Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. Have students write their opinion of what this allegory means and how it can be applied today. Do they agree or disagree with Plato’s idea?
- Unit 3
- Have students look at this presentation about the 5 stages of culture shock. How are they related to the stages of the hero’s journey? Where are they in the stages of culture shock? How about for their hero’s journey?
- Have students watch this video about the Ship of Theseus paradox. Have students write if they feel it is true for them or not. Are they the same person they were 5 years ago? 10 years ago? How do they know?
- Here is a set of short paragraph answer questions I made for learning more about Medusa: download the questions here.
- Unit 4
- Have students watch the video about tragic heroes after reading about Oedipus.
- Unit 5